Has your energy supplier gone under?

  • Posted: December 21st, 2021
  • |
  • Category: Advice

Has your energy supplier gone under?

As you may know many energy suppliers have gone out of business in the past few months.

Rising wholesale prices means that many suppliers have found it hard to buy and supply energy to their customers. Zoe Energy is the latest company to fold.

This can be especially hard to deal with given the aftermath of recent storms (Arwen and Barra), and the harsh winter months to come.
If you’re living in Lancashire, you’ll be part of the Norweb region, this means that EON is likely to be your main electricity supplier and British Gas your main gas supplier. But if you’re with another company, don't worry, you’ll still have gas and electricity. Ofgem, the energy regulator will transfer you over to a new supplier within 2 weeks. They’ll then write to you about the transfer.

Bulb is operating under ‘’special administration’’ so Bulb customers will continue to receive energy. They should contact you and explain what’s happening. If you’re unhappy about staying with Bulb, the good news is (in this situation) you can switch to another supplier without paying an exit fee. Rising energy prices may mean that a new supplier is more expensive, so it’s important to explore the different options and see which is the best value for money. Websites such as UK Power are useful for finding and comparing tariff/deals.

Waiting to hear from your new supplier?

Whilst you wait, it’s best to:
- take meter readings - it’s useful to take a photo of your meter readings too
- keep any old bills you have - these can help prove your payment history, credit balance or debt
- if you have an online account:
- make a note of your account balance - you’ll find this on your most recent statement

You can also contact Citizen’s Advice a free, independent, and confidential service that can help you with such financial and consumer matters. It’s also an official watchdog for energy consumers.
To find out more please visit: www.citizensadvice.org.uk

You can get advice by email by contacting enquiries@northlancashirecab.org.uk or you can ring us free on 0808 278 7882.

  • Posted: 21/12/21
  • |
  • Category: Advice
We Are a Charity